Thursday, April 15, 2010

This Week in Wool.

This week's project is comprised of a simple denim jacket that has been felted on. I chose the matroyska nesting doll as the primary image. Needle felting on denim is difficult because of the rigidity of the fabric. Breaking needles is not uncommon. But in the end, after all the work, the denim jacket has a new life.


I started with a denim jacket to up-cycle. I always "draw" the design on the surface with an outline of wool. I was going for rich jewel like color, to which a thick black line always looks good.




The second step is to block in your design. Using a variety of rich colors, I tried to mimic the design of a Russian nesting doll.




After deciding on the initial design, I continued to add more and more detail with the black line.





The image above shows the beginning of adjusting the facial features. Faces are sometimes excruciating to complete. This pictures exhibits how sometimes in the beginning it can look a little off. I just kept working on it.




The last picture shows the nearly complete version. I ultimately added more design elements around the sides and the front of the jacket to really 'finish' the piece. Cohesive design always adds impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment